What We Offer
- A community of well driven scientists, where you are given the opportunity to grow as an individual, professional, and a scientist.
- Selected variety of workshop geared towards professional development, graduate school, community outreach, and personal advancement.
- Opportunities to outreach to the community and give back to others, while emphasizing a growth in the STEM field.
- A safe space to discuss daily issues we face as undergraduate/graduate professionals in our fields and ways to properly address them.
- A serious and welcoming enviroment to study and interact with other students in similar courses.
- Scholarship Award for for the National SACNAS Conference registration.
Secretary: Hello SACNISTAS! My name is Maria Juarez and I am the club's secretary this year. I am a sophomore and majoring in Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology. Aside from struggling in Chemistry, I love sewing, hiking, and reading. I am grateful for SACNAS since it has been so welcoming and informative for POC students like myself. I hope to keep this club going for years to come, so it is always a safe space for everyone!
Treasurer: Hello, my name is Nélida Robles and I am a 5th-year student majoring in both MCD Biology and Spanish Studies. I am this year's UCSC SACNAS treasurer and I am very excited to see what this academic year holds for us! I love the welcoming environment our SACNAS chapter creates and am happy to contribute to this space. In the future, I would like to pursue a Ph.D. in biology and a fun fact about me is that I love to swim.
Outreach Coordinator: Hello SACNISTAS! My name is Valery Ortiz, my pronouns are she/her/hers, and I'm a first-year transfer majoring in biochemistry and molecular biology. I am the current outreach coordinator for the 2021-2022 term. I love that the SACNAS community provides a venue of support for underrepresented students as well as helping students embrace adversity as an opportunity for growth and exhibit perseverance during times of struggle. I am currently doing research in Dr. Bhalla's lab, which studies errors in meiosis that can lead to an incorrect number of chromosomes, resulting in infertility, miscarriages, and genetic disorders such as down syndrome. My passion for research/science has led me to pursue a Ph.D in biochemistry after undergrad. In my free time, I love to play video games, watch shows and pet my dogs. I am excited to see and welcome you all to the community!!