To be eligible for selection, applicants must be
- Enrolled in, or about to be enrolled in, a UC undergraduate degree program in the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics;
- On track to receive a bachelor’s degree at the conclusion of the second year of the UC LEADS program (i.e. should apply prior to junior year or prior to the fourth year if on a five-year plan);
- In good academic standing in undergraduate degree program;
- Able to demonstrate potential for success in a graduate program; and,
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
As UC LEADS scholars students embark upon a two-year program of scientific research and graduate school preparation guided by individual Faculty Mentors. Scholars are provided with an excellent opportunity to explore their discipline, experience a research environment, and improve their opportunities for future study in their chosen field. The Scholar gains valuable educational experience, the University a better prepared and more diverse graduate applicant pool, and the State, well-educated future leaders. Each Scholar is mentored by a member of UC the faculty, who assists the student in designing a plan of research and enrichment activities fitted to the individual interests and academic goals of the Scholar.
academic year research
- paid summer research experience
- participation in the University-wide UC LEADS Symposium
- attendance at professional or scientific society meetings
- travel to another UC campus
- academic enrichment activities, including preparation for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Application is currently available. Click here to access application.
Applications close on Friday, February 8th, 2019.